Commencing with the formation of the Cameron Silver Cornet Band in 1866, Cameron has been home to a succession of fine musical organizations. Early groups were typically all male with performances involving marching and drilling as well as playing. As generations came and went, there were several reorganizations and name changes.
Becoming the Cameron Municipal Band
In 1929, the citizens of Cameron imposed a tax upon themselves to support their community band. The State statute which authorized this tax stipulated that bands so supported be called municipal bands. At that time Cameron’s band was called Cameron Community Concert Band, so it changed to the Cameron Municipal Band to meet the new requirement.